Tarragon Theatre is now accepting submissions to the Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators program (formerly Theatre Creators’ Reserve). OUR DEADLINE TO SUBMIT IS MONDAY, OCTOBER 16TH AT 11:59 PM.
The Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators program, funded by the Ontario Arts Council, supports playwrights and creation collectives in the development of new Canadian work.
Tarragon Theatre sees this program as an opportunity to provide time for playwrights and/or creators to create. It offers artists the opportunity to conduct research on a potential play, to move from an idea to a first draft, work on subsequent drafts of a play or – if the project is a collective creation – the time to improvise/create in the rehearsal hall.
In assessing and selecting potential projects, Tarragon will apply the same principles we use when selecting plays in general. There are no restrictions on content or form. We are drawn to creators and plays that demonstrate talent for the medium of theatre, possess a strong and unique voice or point of view, probe the human condition, and evoke rich and complex worlds. For those creators unfamiliar with our work, the best example of our artistic vision and aesthetic can be found in our productions.
We are open to the variety of needs and approaches depending on each individual creator, and to projects that are in all stages of development. Each application will be reviewed individually on its own merits and needs.
Before you write your application, please read the Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators Program Guidelines thoroughly.
All applications must be submitted by email with the OAC application form and your materials in one document. Please have your name as the file name and email to Literary Manager Joanna Falck email@example.com. Our deadline is Monday, October 16th at 11:59pm.
- A concise summary of the play or project, maximum 1 page
- A detailed development plan, complete with timeline and specific objectives, maximum 1½ pages
- Background material (resume, biography) on the playwright and/or creator(s)
- A complete draft of a play, either of recently written play or the play you wish us to support. Applicants may substitute photographs and/or archival video of your previous work instead of a script.
When writing your application, please be sure to address the following points:
- The story/journey of the play, and the larger topic, idea or question you wish to explore through that story/journey
- How you plan to create the play, e.g. straight writing, improvisation, found text, etc.
- Your specific development goals for the play, e.g. to complete research on a relevant topic, to execute a second draft, to shape a specific character’s journey, etc.
- Your long-term goals for the play
Tarragon Theatre encourages applications from artists who identify as members of the Ontario Arts Council’s Stratetic Priority Groups, and artists working in non-traditional forms of theatre.