Greenhouse Residency & Festival
Call for Submissions!
Greenhouse is a new, process-led, interdisciplinary residency at Tarragon Theatre.
We grow vibrant new ideas and facilitate exchange between artist and audience. We believe in rigorous exploration, discovery through doing, and play.
Our residency begins in August 2022, culminating in repertory showings in January 2023, and concludes in February 2023.
Tarragon Theatre creates, develops and produces new Canadian plays and provides the conditions for that new work to thrive through high-quality development, production and administrative infrastructure. We support the exploration of storytelling and artistic forms that champion the scope of theatrical possibility. Tarragon Theatre trains and supports new generation, emerging and established artists through extensive residencies, flexible play development programs and substantial producing capabilities. Its rehearsal halls, studios and theatre spaces are used extensively by the arts community for the creation and production of new work.
What does the residency support?
Greenhouse supports 4 projects from conception to first public sharing. Projects receive:
– a $5000.00 residency fee
– rehearsal/development space and resources at Tarragon Theatre to freely explore
– dramaturgical, marketing, and technical support
– a portion of box-office revenues
– inter-artist collaboration and networking opportunities
– letters of support for grant-writing requests
Who Should Apply? (Everybody should apply)
We are inviting all artists, creators, and collectives to apply to the first annual Greenhouse, especially those who may have believed their works, styles, and form would not previously find a home at Tarragon.
We are seeking to support ideas that have not previously been publicly presented, and are in early stages of development. We are especially interested in projects that engage their audience as an active presence in the art-making, and require this performance-based feedback to grow.
How to Apply
1) A cover letter (1-2 pages) that explores the following:
– The idea or project you are creating.
– What urgent questions are you asking within your artistic practice?
– What forms are you exploring?
– How will the residency serve you and your process?
– Who is your target audience, and how do you intend to connect with them through performance?
*** Please note that you may offer the above in audio or video format (3 mins max)
2) A CV
3) An artistic sample (eg. video clips; max 5 mins, photos, portfolio link, etc)
The Application Process
To apply, please send by email to:
Heather Caplap, Education and Community Engagement Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
and Justin Miller, Metcalf Creative Producing Intern (email@example.com).
Please use the subject: Greenhouse Residency Application. The application deadline is Monday, June 6, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
All applicants will be contacted by the end of June; shortlisted artists will be offered follow-up interviews with the Greenhouse curatorial team.
Tarragon Theatre believes in a richly inclusive working environment and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation pertaining to accessibility at any stage of the application process, please let us know.