Job Posting: Producer
Start Date: August 23, 2021
FT Salary: $48-$55,000 + benefits
Currently in an artistic leadership transition, Tarragon is a
theatre that creates, develops and produces new Canadian
plays and provides the conditions for that new work to thrive
through high-quality development, production and administrative infrastructure. The theatre trains and supports new generation, emerging and established artists through extensive residencies, flexible play development programs and substantial producing capabilities. To complement its new creations, Tarragon presents new plays from across Canada, revives significant Canadian plays, produces international work, and runs education and community engagement programs. Its rehearsal halls, Workspace and Extraspace are used extensively by the arts community for the creation and production of new work.
About the Position:
An integral role to Tarragon’s producing structure and community, the Producer will work closely with the Artistic and Managing Directors and support the theatre’s short and long-term planning while upholding the company’s mission, which supports artists (creators, playwrights, directors, etc.), their voices and their practices.
You are a dedicated theatre practitioner, with an interest in supporting the artistic and administrative functions of the Tarragon. You enjoy working in a fast-paced, artistically engaging, and collaborative work environment.
Reporting to the Artistic and Managing Directors, the Producer is responsible for:
• Drafting and distributing contracts for playwrights, directors and actors – often in communication with agents – for Mainspace and Extraspace productions, and for play development workshops.
• Serving as an artistic ambassador to Tarragon which may include attending (in person and virtually) productions and readings in Toronto and across the country.
• Creating and tracking invoices and artists’ payments.
• Booking travel and accommodations for artists.
• Completing and distributing royalty reports to playwrights.
• Liaising with all artists’ association as required to maintain Tarragon’s good standing, e.g. CAEA, Re-Sound, SOCAN and PGC.
• With the Associate Artistic Director, managing the Workspace program.
• Supporting grant-writing and reporting, to include the coordination of all statistical record-keeping for CADAC and each level of government, i.e. Canada Council, Ontario Arts Council, Toronto Arts Council.
• Ongoing liaising with the bookkeeper on the theatre’s weekly financial needs and assisting with financial reporting as required, such as credit card reconciliations.
• Applying for city permits and licenses.
• Managing and maintaining all office supplies and equipment.
• Where appropriate, acquiring and managing service contracts for the theatre’s office equipment (telephone, photocopier, ticketing system, IT servicing).
• Coordinating the IT needs for the theatre and staff.
• Providing support to other staff as required in the fulfillment of the theatre’s administrative needs/functions.
Qualifications and Skills:
• A minimum of 2 years of accomplished work in theatre practice.
• Proficiency in MS Office with expertise in Microsoft Word
and Excel, plus some database experience and knowledge
of bookkeeping software (we use Theatre Manager and QuickBooks).
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to manage competing priorities and to complete work in a timely manner.
• Flexibility to adjust work schedule to evenings and/or weekends as required.
• A sense of humour and barbecuing skills are definite assets!
To apply, please send by email a cover letter and resume with references in a single pdf to Mike Payette, Incoming Artistic Director and Andrea Vagianos, Managing Director at Tarragon Theatre, c/o [email protected], 30 Bridgman Avenue, Toronto, ON M5R 1X3. Please use the subject: Producer Application. The application deadline is Monday, July 5, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Tarragon Theatre believes in a richly inclusive working environment and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation pertaining to accessibility at any stage of the application process, please do not hesitate to make a request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Tarragon Theatre, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.